Wednesday, December 30, 2009

WHERE DOES YOUR JOY COME FROM?

“Write 100 words before contest end on where your joy comes from.” You would think the announcer was broadcasting a simple request over the airwaves; my heart responded to the contrary. At the time, my husband and I had moved into his first American-dream home – an old fixer-upper. I was, however, grappling with the news that the pitter-pattering sounds of children running across those beat-up floorboards would not be produced from my womb. To encapsulate joy in 100 words would be impossible to write in my present condition. But as I sat at my computer droning over the announcement, I heard the voice of God speak through my hands as I pulled up a Word document and started typing what I heard Him say.

That was almost 11 years ago and unfortunately, I didn’t save the document after I submitted it to the radio station. But I can tell you over the years, I have lived God’s brand of joy every day since. Joy isn’t a warm and fuzzy feeling like you see in the movies with a happily ever after attached to the end credits. God’s brand of joy is more of an unanticipated gift you receive at a most inopportune time. It’s packaged in trust when you’re going through the pain, the heartache and the heartbreaks associated with living life.

For me, God’s gift of joy and happiness was wrapped in character development. My heart was far from what I would consider joyful, but as I penned His words, I was reminded of Paul’s letter to the Romans. “Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. God was saying His brand of joy was in the knowing and that it was not going to be a disappointment to me, or for you.

About that radio contest—I did win. Still in shock when I walked up on the Civic Arena platform to have my essay read at that year’s “Women of Faith” conference, I heard God speak again. This time, He scribed His words on my heart so when I need a reminder, it would always be there to read. “No matter what may come, I am your joy!”

Where does your joy come from? If it’s difficult right now to know, ask God to scribe His brand of joy for you on your heart. If you care to share a 100 words, leave a comment. I can't guarantee you'll win a trip to a Women of Faith conference, but I can rejoice with you in the knowing!

Have a JOYOUS New Year! Blessings!

No comments: