Tuesday, June 19, 2012

MORE THAN ACCOLADES

There is a time and place to receive accolades. I believe years of dutiful service, for example, deserve recognition. For me, any heroic act grand or small merits fanfare and a headline on the front page of the newspaper. Remember Baby Jessica some years back? Can you name her rescuers? I can’t, but I know with each passing year, there is not a day that goes by an extremely thankful Jessica gets to live out life because those ordinary people embarked on the extraordinary.


Here’s a profound scenario. What if “Joe or Jane Rescuer” placed more stock in the attention-seeking acts rather than their day-in-and-day-out, ordinary interactions? What if the public accolades motivated them more than the private or inner praise received from merely doing their job?

October 14, 1987 may have been a remarkable day for onlookers and for baby Jessica’s parents, but for the rescuers; I believe no fanfare or accolades were required to do whatever was right.

Every day, we hope to make a difference in the world around us. And in making a difference, especially in doing the day-in-and-day-out, ordinary, we are not always going to get an “atta-girl” or a wellspring of compliments. Frankly, living a life of purpose is more than earthly accolades. It’s about offering our lives up as “living sacrifices” (Romans 12:1, 2). It’s being always on the ready to make someone’s ordinary, extraordinary… even if it goes unnoticed.


“Show God’s love in practical ways” became the driving force behind Steve Sjogren’s book, “Servant Evangelism” and it’s what should motivate our actions. This former founding pastor of the Vineyard Community Church of Cincinnati turned a God-inspired revelation into a revolution that transformed an entire mindset. By opening ourselves up to the day-in-and-day-out, ordinary interactions around us, we poise ourselves for God to use us in extraordinary ways. From a few servants I know:



  • Because my dad served in the military, I love paying for a service person’s lunch. It doesn’t matter if it’s a family at McDonald’s or a couple at the local restaurant my husband and I frequent, they deserve more. I make no boast or some huge announcement about it. It’s not necessary. After all, they give up their lives to protect the lives of my family. The cost of a meal is a small sacrifice in comparison.
  • I stopped off in the gift shop after I had my mammogram. I saw an elderly woman picking up a few snack items. I wasn’t in line, but came alongside the cashier and quietly asked her to ring up the woman’s purchase while she was preoccupied with looking for her wallet. By the time she found it, the clerk said, “Don’t worry, mother! It’s been paid.” I walked out there with a smile on my face.
  • Before work, I head over to a local convenient store for a cup of ice. If I have it to give, I pay for a person’s fountain drink without them knowing. I usually get out the store without incident. Not this morning. The woman in front of me thought she had enough money; she didn’t. So she went back to her vehicle. I paid for my ice and then asked the clerk to add up the woman’s purchases. She didn’t understand my request. The more discreet I became, the more puzzled her face got. Finally, I just said, “Look, will you please add this up so I can pay for it!” By that time, the woman was back in line and the clerk was shocked I would do such a thing! With change and ice cup in hand, I tried to get to my car, but not before “Clerk Girl” spills the beans and the poor woman runs out the store feeling an obligation to do something. All I could say was, “Hey, it’s all good!”
  • During the Memorial Day weekend, my church washes windshields. Sounds hokey until you realize they set up a canopy at the nearby interstate rest area to pass out bottled water, coffee, homemade cookies, doggie treats for the pets and car toys for the kids at the nearby interstate rest area. And they don’t ask for a dime. In fact, for the past 11 years, they decline any and all donations!
  • Our next door neighbors have been living life in chaos. Home life has been anything but blissful for the mother. With five children (one diagnosed with severe autism) and an abusive marriage, they got hit with the worse news yet. Their 5-year old son was complaining of stomach pains was taken to the emergency room only to be diagnosed with cancer. The outside of their home resembled the shambles they’re going through behind closed doors. While at the hospital with their son during chemotherapy, my husband and I decided to pull out rakes, hedge trimmers and every garden tool we had to bring a bit of order back into their home. It was hard work, but it was worth it!

Every day we can make a difference in the world around us. Go out and change the world, but I must warn you. Your act of service given up to God is more than any earthly accolade.


Do you have an extraordinarily-ordinary “act of service” that resulted in little, if any accolades? Share it with us.



Embrace His Truth – Matthew 6:1-3


Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do – blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need; don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

No comments: