Thursday, July 26, 2012

PRESSING THE SNOOZE BUTTON

I use to be the snooze-button queen! Simply loved the strange exhilaration of being startled from slumber. I loved slapping a button in return for 9-minute siesta. And catching the morning jock in mid guffaw with my snooze-happy hands darting from the covers? Heavenly! It was as if at some precise, mental moment I knew His good morning banter would quickly cease!


Snooze buttons are like helping hands in the morning, aren't they? Need more time? A touch of a button will give you exactly what you want. Need more than that? Take control and slap it as many times as YOU want. Translates well in those dragging days, but beeps a foreign language when we have to face the rest of the day with uncertainty. Can't snooze button the boss' deadline or our family's next crisis or even our own anxieties awaiting us the moment our feet hit the floor. No, time grants no pardon and snooze buttons are impersonal..

When I laid there like a turtle in a shell, what I really wanted the snooze button could not provide. My soul needed rest. We get tired, don't we? The kind of tired that drains us from the little energy we have to face the day. Instead of reaching out a hand to slap a button, I've learned to raise my voice in desperation.  I have learned to admit to God that in those times, "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word" (Psalm 119:28). And it is His word that recharges my spirit, renews my mind (Romans 12:2) and restores my soul (Psalm 23).

These days I don't rely on my snooze button as much as I use to, but I do find renewed strength when I press into the recharging Words of my Savior.

When your soul needs rest, what button do you press?

Psalm 3:5 - I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

No comments: