Thursday, August 9, 2012

RAISING AN OLYMPIAN - PART 1

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him (James 1:12).

We honor the Olympians who have made their countries proud. Their personal sacrifices may go unnoticed. Their untold stories of under pressure may be reserved for the few, but these hometown athletics will be remembered and revered by us for their supernatural feats.

Like a force of nature, human greatness converges every four years to determine who will take home the prize. Despite the circumstances which ushered every contender into the Olympic Stadium, no one came to lose. Rigorous training made them athletes; perseverance made them winners.

I’ve been keeping track of the Olympic highlights on my computer as we gave up cable for Lent (I’m kidding about the Lent, not about the cable). And since I’m a former P&Ger, I love the human-interest tribute-to-moms called, “Raising An Olympian.” It’s like being invited to sit a spell on a momma’s front porch.

Long after the British pomp and ceremony, their words of wisdom blaze like a torch over a weary-worn soul. Heed the tender tears of personal sacrifices. Pay strict attention to the giving resolve exuding from their accounts. To our native sentiments, Kerri Walsh-Jennings, Jordyn Wieber, Shawn Johnson and Gabby Douglas are one of many Olympians, but to these mommas

Let these momma messages speak over you as if spoken from the heart of our Papa God. Ultimately, His Word confirms what He has trained you to know:

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well” (Psalm 139:13, 14).

Margie Walsh (“You play to win!” - tenacity)
• Never settle
• Do everything you can do
• Don’t accept “no”
• Life is not fair, but you have to fight

Rita Wieber (“Help them keep perspective” – laughter)
• The best way to get something done is to try again
• Balance is the key
• Make sure to expose them to all kinds of things
• Try and use humor in every situation because that’s how you get through life
• Guts and ability to perform under pressure will carry them through

Teri Johnson (“Someone who loves you, no matter what” - balance)


• If you want to quit, it’s your decision, but try something that’s for you
• Didn’t react like it’s the end of the work because I believe bad things happen for a reason
• Life’s not fair, but you have to fight


Natalie Hawkins (“Learn to let go” – perseverance)
• It takes a village to raise a child
• I know I need to send my child away but how can I do that
• Even 3000 miles away, I can still mother her
• (In response to Gabby feeling homesick) – You can’t come home with us…you’ve sacrificed all of this
• Life is not easy…you have to refuse to quit
• Now is not the time to be afraid…you have trained for this moment

No comments: