Wednesday, April 10, 2013

REAR GUARD VS. THE WWF


“But you will not leave in haste or go in flight; for the Lord will go before you, the God of Israel will be your rear guard.” (Isaiah 52:12)


For some, the WWF rocks; personally, I’d rather eat rocks than watch wrestling. I remember sitting through my first and I believe, only TV match. Young and impressionable, I nearly passed out from the sight of the "Fiendish Foe" and "Foresight" (I know those weren’t their names) body slamming each other on the ropes. Foe had Foresight in what looked like a deadening, brain-cell head lock. Foresight’s veins and corpuscles pulsed in 3-D Technicolor.

And then the unthinkable happened. When Foresight broke free, his eye sockets erupted like an active volcano. Blood splattered everywhere. The mighty not only fell but staggered and swung blindly to the trailing taunts of Foe’s threats. I went from fearless to fearful in no time flat. I never thought I’d hear the sound of a branding iron against human flesh, but “F.E.A.R.” sizzled across my cranium that day and I thought, “If a menacing blowhard like that could take out the likes of this highly-favored opponent, what chance did I have in the real world?”

I know now the false stage appearance of WWF, but until recently, I’ve staggered and swung blindly against fear’s taunts and threats. Once caught in doubt’s death grip, questions swirl wildly through our brains, don't they? The inevitable sinks in and out goes our dreams unfulfilled, songs unsung, challenges unmet, life fully unlived.

Well, I don’t know if I would be mixing my martial arts’ metaphors here, but Foe did not play fair. He had a partner in this doing. “False Expectation Appearing Real” was tagged to take Foresight down. If I’ve done my math correctly, 2-to-1 does not add up. So who has our back? Who can we tag when F.E.A.R. wants to finish the job Foe started?

With this reprieve, let me direct you to an inspiring passage:
“When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. ‘Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?’ the servant asked. ‘Don’t be afraid,’ the prophet answered. ‘Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’ And Elisha PRAYED, ‘Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.’ Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.” – 2 Kings 6:15-17
In or out the WWF ring, a fight has been waged. Life is a daily struggle of mind, heart and soul. Whether of small consequence or the life-and-death variety, the stakes are high on both sides. Our Foe uses tactics known to topple the best of us, but God is our refuge and strength (Psalm 46:1-7) and competes for us, around us and with us. He fortifies our bodies with a full set of armor (Ephesians 6). He enriches our Spirit with good, sustainable fruit (Galatians 5). He transforms our minds and challenges us not to conform to a worldly pattern (Romans 12:2). In essence, God has our backs and no false expectation appearing real can change the outcome of this fight!

My challenge to you…
When was the last time you faced a “Fiendish Foe?” What grip of F.E.A.R. did it leave on you? Have you reached out to God for a release of F.E.A.R.’s grip?

What one prayer can you pray today to gain victory over F.E.A.R.?


Blessings!

To hear more on "Who's Got Your Back," visit my YouTube channel.

No comments: